So it’s finally happened. I’ve posted a salad on the blog.
I knew the day would come. I just didn’t think it’d be so soon.
Now before you CTRL + ALT + DELETE your way right out of this page, listen up. This salad does not taste like your typical gross boring salad. It’s loaded with black beans, mango, roasted red peppers, hearts of palm AND avocado. I dressed it up with this awesome citrus vinaigrette over on Bon Appetit’s website. You will love it. I promise. I know, hearts of palm sounds weird. If I had to compare it, I’d say it tastes similar to an artichoke. It has a little bit of a bitter taste which goes really well in this salad. You can usually find hearts of palm in the canned vegetable aisle in any grocery store.
We’re going to the beach in 2 weeks so I made a big batch of this salad and have been eating it everyday.
And it’s so pretty. If you’re gonna force yourself to eat a salad, it should at least be pretty.
But I promise, you won’t have to force yourself to eat it. It’ll be gone in 2 seconds.
Make the citrus vinaigrette dressing first. You can find that recipe here. This will make more dressing than you need. You can store it in a mason jar in the fridge for about a week.
- 5 oz of baby spinach
- 3/4 cup diced mango
- 1/2 of a 8.8 oz jar of hearts of palm, diced
- 1 roasted red pepper, julienned
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced into large chunks
- Place spinach in a large serving bowl.
- Dice up mango, hearts of palm, red pepper and avocado.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Add all ingredients except for avocado to bowl with spinach.
- Toss everything, then carefully fold in avocado so you don't bruise or mush up avocado.
- Serve with citrus vinaigrette or your favorite salad dressing.
Healthy is good. Sometimes.